Some Basic Information About My Site and My Files:

First a note about my files:



All my files are for personal use. I do not charge for any files I create. I share them here for others to use for personal use only. Please do not use them to submit for contests, etc. without getting my permission first. Please give credit where credit is due. I will try to do the same. This means I will try to identify where I got an item or a project if I didn't create it myself and there is an identifable source. Sometimes however I use basic clipart or coloring pages. You may however share these files with others for their personal use (you may not charge for them - you may pass them on for free) or you may point them here to my blog to get the files themselves. If a download file is available, it will appear at the bottom of the post and will be in a different color text.



PLEASE NOTE: I reside in the USA where we use the MM/DD/YYYY date format on computers (and in everything else we do!) If you are outside the USA where they use the DD/MM/YYYY date format on computers, you MAY experience an "Unhandled exception" error when you try to open one of my Cricut DS files. It is an error related to the date format. An easy fix is available at SusanBlueRobot's Blog. Susan has a simple HexEdit program and directions which will allow you to alter the date so you can use the files. Note: This is only an issue if the save date of the file is after the 12th of the month! It is also only an issue with DS files. I have never seen this issue with MTC or SCAL.

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jelly Bean Prayer Cross Craft - Expression or Small Bug


This is an Easter craft from Oriental Trading Company. It can be found here. (If you download this file, you will want to go to that site to get the "poem" that goes on the Cross. I would suggest that you enlarge the picture and you will be able to read the poem to get the wording).

It's-ONLY-Money (Misty) on the Cricut MB had posted looking for help in making a .cut file for this craft. I thought, hmm. . . looks simply enough - except for maybe those jelly beans so I thought I would give it a try. I think I even got close enough on the jelly beans!!! I have created files for both the small bugs (Original or Baby and Create) and the Expression. It uses the George cartridge. (Could easily be recreated with Plantin Schoolbook - but left that for someone else!)
The jelly beans have one extra page with the first jelly bean I created (which I thought was way too big but I left it in case someone wanted "Jumbo" sized jelly beans. However, there is only one bean on that page! I didn't make multiples). The smaller jelly bean page has 12 jelly beans on the page (You could make more if you wanted). This is one of the frustrating parts about the DS software and its lack of a group feature and/or ability to copy a group of objects at one time. If that feature was available, it would be very easy to make lots of jelly beans quickly and fill the page! BUT it's NOT!!!! (The "Auto Fill" feature of the Expression cannot be used with DS either!) So, the only way to make "duplicates" is to copy each "object" and move it each time. The jelly bean has 4 parts so each one had to be copied and moved 11 times to get the 12 jelly beans I have in the file . (The best way to do this is to "count" the number of spaces you move with your arrow keys so you move them all the same number of spaces and they will line up properly!). (Also note, when you copy and paste something in DS - it "pastes" on top of the original object!)
This project requires 8 different colors of jelly beans for each Cross. The way the file is set up, you would cut the small jelly bean page 8 times in a different color each time. This would give you enough jelly beans for 12 children. Cut it 2 times in each color and you have enough for 24! If you were only doing for 1 child, just put small colors of paper where each jelly bean is.