Some Basic Information About My Site and My Files:

First a note about my files:



All my files are for personal use. I do not charge for any files I create. I share them here for others to use for personal use only. Please do not use them to submit for contests, etc. without getting my permission first. Please give credit where credit is due. I will try to do the same. This means I will try to identify where I got an item or a project if I didn't create it myself and there is an identifable source. Sometimes however I use basic clipart or coloring pages. You may however share these files with others for their personal use (you may not charge for them - you may pass them on for free) or you may point them here to my blog to get the files themselves. If a download file is available, it will appear at the bottom of the post and will be in a different color text.



PLEASE NOTE: I reside in the USA where we use the MM/DD/YYYY date format on computers (and in everything else we do!) If you are outside the USA where they use the DD/MM/YYYY date format on computers, you MAY experience an "Unhandled exception" error when you try to open one of my Cricut DS files. It is an error related to the date format. An easy fix is available at SusanBlueRobot's Blog. Susan has a simple HexEdit program and directions which will allow you to alter the date so you can use the files. Note: This is only an issue if the save date of the file is after the 12th of the month! It is also only an issue with DS files. I have never seen this issue with MTC or SCAL.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Happy Halloween - Witchy Footwear Card for SCAL 2 OR NOW File for DS too!

Hello. We have 2 month until Halloween. "Witch" means its time to be making those Halloween cards!! I had purchased the Sept/Oct 2009 copy of PaperCrafting Magazine. It has several cute card ideas in it. One is a "Witchy Footwear Card" designed by Kim Hughes.

I liked the card but of course wanted to be able to cut out multiple of the cards with my Cricut. So, with the help of my scanner, computer, Inkscape and SCAL 2, I downloaded the pattern for the Witches Boot, created an .svg file with Inkscape and imported it into SCAL 2. Since the "card" requires a "front and back" to it and the pattern only had 1 side of 1 boot, I had to copy it and then flip it and then attempt to weld it. Well for some reason, I couldn't get SCAL or SCAL 2 to weld the two boots together!! Grrrrrr!!! I do know how to weld - it wasn't working!! Still haven't figured out why!!


Well - not to be thrawted by a computer and software, I simple cut 2 of the shapes out, taped them together in the correct position and rescanned it into my computer as 1 object! Then again, coverted it into an .svg file and IMPORTED it into SCAL 2! Success!!! There is more then one way to skin a cat you know!! LOL I used a $1 stamp from Studio G that says "Best Witches" inside the card.


I used SCAL 2 because I wanted 2 pages. The first page has the card base and the second page a "liner" for inside the card since I was cutting the base in black cardstock! I did try to open this .scut file in the first version of SCAL just to see what would happen - nothing happens - you just get a blank page. So, you will need to have SCAL 2 to open and cut this file. It also appears that there is nothing to distinguish the file names of files created in SCAL 1 and/or SCAL 2. Both types of files end in .scut alone. If I am wrong on this can someone let me know? Thanks! This may cause problems for some since SCAL 1 wouldn't open my SCAL 2 file. As a result, I will always try to remember to tell you which version of SCAL I have used. I may come back and add a SCAL 1 version but you really don't need me to, simply take the .svg file and IMPORT (not open) it into SCAL 1. Remember to IMPORT the Shoe CARD if you want the card base!


I thought about adding the "hole punches" for the ribbon "shoe lace" but didn't because I was also using a liner inside the card. That would be a nightmare to try and line up before you cut and put the card base and liner together. So, I didn't add those to the file. However, you could add them to the front base IF you were not going to use the liner inside the card.



You can download the single Witches Shoe .svg file here. You can download the Witches Shoe CARD .svg file here. Or you can download the Witches Shoe CARD .scut file for SCAL 2 here.

UPDATE: 9/11/09 - GJ from the Cricut MB contacted me and asked if I would mind if she attempted to create this card in DS for those Cricut users with DS but not SCAL.  I told her I'd be happy for her to do that.  I also told her she was a better woman then me to do so because I had taken the "easy way out" by doing this with SCAL to start with.  I love DS but I don't have the patience to do complicated things with it, especially without a "group all" feature and some other basic graphic features that it is missing.  Anyway . . .


GJ has created a DS .cut file of a similiar witch's shoe card for all our DS friends!  Thank you GJ for doing so and sharing it.  Since GJ does not yet have a blog she said she was willing for me to post it here on mine to share with all of you.  Here is a picture of her card she made: 
Thanks GJ.  To see more of GJ's work you can go to the Cricut MB and check out her gallery there.