Some Basic Information About My Site and My Files:

First a note about my files:



All my files are for personal use. I do not charge for any files I create. I share them here for others to use for personal use only. Please do not use them to submit for contests, etc. without getting my permission first. Please give credit where credit is due. I will try to do the same. This means I will try to identify where I got an item or a project if I didn't create it myself and there is an identifable source. Sometimes however I use basic clipart or coloring pages. You may however share these files with others for their personal use (you may not charge for them - you may pass them on for free) or you may point them here to my blog to get the files themselves. If a download file is available, it will appear at the bottom of the post and will be in a different color text.



PLEASE NOTE: I reside in the USA where we use the MM/DD/YYYY date format on computers (and in everything else we do!) If you are outside the USA where they use the DD/MM/YYYY date format on computers, you MAY experience an "Unhandled exception" error when you try to open one of my Cricut DS files. It is an error related to the date format. An easy fix is available at SusanBlueRobot's Blog. Susan has a simple HexEdit program and directions which will allow you to alter the date so you can use the files. Note: This is only an issue if the save date of the file is after the 12th of the month! It is also only an issue with DS files. I have never seen this issue with MTC or SCAL.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Flowers Anyone? - Flowerpot Pocket or Slider Card

Yea, it is Finally Friday.  I have been under the weather all week and didn't make it into my craft room at all.  Didn't get much of anything done beyond the absolute have to's!!

As a result, I haven't gotten anything on the blog in a while either.  I had high hopes to do a better blogging job in the new year!  Not yet it would seem though!  LOL  I don't know if I will ever be an everyday blogger.  At least not while I still have children to drive from here to there!  LOL
I created these two files several weeks ago.  I got the pictures made and the files ready to share, just hadn't set down to get them actually posted on the blog.  These are my own personal files I have created from scratch using the Make the Cut software.  However, the IDEA is not mine.  I have seen diferent versions of these types of cards in a variety of places before.  BUT, what I had not seen was one where the card its self could actually stand up so that it could be displayed to look like what it is, a pot of flowers.  So, first I created the base card and then I modified the bottom of the base so that it could be "folded"  so that it would "stand" up.  I like it.  I hope you do too.  You can use it for a variety of sentiments, Get Well, Sympathy, Happy Birthday, etc. - anything where you might want to send someone some flowers!!


Both files will fit in a 5x7 envelope if you place your flowers properly!!  Use as many flowers as you want.  I have 3 on one card and 4 on the other it looks like. I added dimension to the circles with the swiss dots cuttlebug folder and inked the raised dots by swiping the ink pad across them gently.

You can put a piece of ribbon and a tag around your "pot" if you want, ink it,  or decorate the pot its self- use your imagination.
To create the regular "flat" fowerpot card - fold the base or "pot" in the center of the pot so that it is equal on both sides. Then fold the tops down and score at 1" on each side to create the lip or the rim of the pot. You can adhere the lip or rim of the pot to the pot or not to hold it down more flat (use glue dot, double stick tape, etc).
To create the Standing Flower pot card so that the receiver can stand it up like an actual pot of flowers, create a mountain fold in the center of the base pot so that it is equal on both sides, THEN score at the 1/2 inch on EACH side of the center fold and make these scores valley folds.

PLEASE NOTE:  the smaller STANDING file has had more "depth" added to the pot to allow for these extra folds to allow it to stand up.  You will not get the correct dimensions if you try this with the larger file.
I hope all of this makes sense. This is one of the reasons I hadn't yet posted the file.  I wanted to do detailed directions.  I'm not sure these are great, but hopefully everyone will understand them!!  LOL  If not, leave me a note and I will try to do a better job.

I am only sharing this in the Make the Cut (.mtc) file format as that is how I created my files to begin with.  The files have a couple of pages to them.  One page has a variety of different "flowers" I created using basic shapes.  Then I layered them to create my flowers. Since It's been a couple of weeks since I created the files, I don't recall what all is in them to tell you the truth!  LOL

I have had a couple of requests from people who do not have MTC but could use the file if it was in .svg format.  I'm sorry, but right now I have not created this as an .svg file.  There are a variety of reasons for this.  One being that even though I own both MTC and SCAL2 - I pretty much only use my MTC software anymore for a variety of reasons. The second being time.  It takes times to convert the file and test the cuts and make sure everything works like it should before sharing the file.  I NEVER share a file unless I have test cut it myself to make sure that it works as it is intended.  As a result, I haven't had time to convert the file to an .svg file.  I'm not saying that I won't - but right now I don't have time, sorry! As you can see from my blog - I don't have lots of time on my hands right now with 2 soon to be HS aged students and their sports!  LOL  Which is why I don't get to share a lot on my blog and it took weeks to get just the MTC file posted here!  Thanks for asking though and I do promise that it is on my to do list so check back by sometime and see if I ever get a chance to convert the file and test it to share. 

I would love to see any that you make and hear what you did with them.  Thanks for stopping by.